Why fermented foods? Because they are chock full of healthy probiotics that help to build your gut health and it’s proven that great gut health goes a long way in ensuring overall good health and wellness!
It’s delicious, you can put it on almost anything, and this version gives you a home-made table relish without any artificial flavour or added chemicals. Besides a great kick of flavour!
What you need:
- 1 red onion
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 big ripe tomato
- 1 green bell pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- ¼ cup whey (see notes)
- The juice of 1 lime
- A clean Mason jar
- Remove the stem and seeds from the pepper and skin the onion
- Chop the onion, tomato and bell pepper into little pieces
- In a bowl, mix together the chopped vegetables, corriander, tomato, lactobacilli starter, lime juice, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Spoon the mixture into your Mason jar and press it down – leave at least 3 centimetres of space at the top.
- Seal and leave at room temperature for 2 days – then store in the fridge where it will keep for up to 4 months.